Optical Coherence Tomography(OCT) is a non-invasive, non-ionizing tomographic imaging technique that provides sub-millimeter resolution of biological tissue substructure. Optical Coherence tomography utilizes a low-coherence light source and a Michelson Interferometer optical setup to differentiate the different back scattered light at variable depths in tissue similar to how Ultrasound detects sound echos.
Dr. Zhongping Chen’s group pioneered Optical Doppler Tomography that is able to not only provide tomographic cross-sectional structural images but also provides functional dynamic light scattering information such as flow measurements. The lab also develops imaging device and software to be used as a preventative medical diagnostic tool. The following are some of the areas of focus in Dr. Zhonping Chen’s Research Group:
– Blood flow quantification and analysis(Doppler OCT)
– Arterial plaque calcification(Intravascular Ultrasound Optical Coherence Tomography and Photo Acoustic Tomography)
– Anatomical airway stenosis(Long range OCT)
– Tissue mechanical property changes(Optical Coherence Elastography).
– Minature Multiphoton and Coherent anti-Stokes Raman spectroscopy